Recently, I saw a lady who is blind, take her seeing eye dog out to "go". When he was done, he lingered around on the sidewalk for as long as he could before his owner became impatient. The lady kindly asked the dog to show her the door and he did! I've never seen the dogs at work in real life before. It was awesome. I can't believe I actually witnessed that moment. I think its amazing that you can train a dog to help someone do something. I guess it blew me away too since I had a dog named Pennie, and she was good for nothing. Sweet. But, good for nothing, although she would bring my cell phone to me every now and then.
Some dogs have jobs.
Once, while walking down 23rd street in Manhattan, I led a visually impaired man by the elbow, away from walking into an overflowing garbage can. I know. It was one of those moments when you have to ask yourself what you ought to do. Anyway, he got upset with me, and ever since that day, I'm reluctant to just help someone since I don't know if I might make them feel uncomfortable.