I've been waiting for this moment. I've just about mastered the New York subway system. Actually, I've remastered it since I lived in Manhattan back in 2001 for a couple years. Sometimes, a stranger will ask me for directions, and in most cases I can help them out. Granted there are places in the city that I have not been yet, I'm reaquainted with the ins and outs of the system.
The subway system, better known as the MTA, is host to much more than passengers. There has always been something very special about the subway for me, and I've probably spent many years idealizing it. It's a perfect model of public transit in my opinion, considering I moved here from Charlotte NC, a city that has bastardized the usability and community impact of public transit. Charlotte has a new "light rail" system, that's much less than a "system" and more like a self referential single train line that runs a few miles from "Uptown" into a sleepy suburb.
The MTA is an experience unto itself, chock full of street performers, homeless people and every walk of life that you can possibly imagine in one place. The subway stations and cars, although disgusting in terms of cleanliness, are very magical places because it unites.
With all of that said, no one likes a fare hike!!!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile